Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The no-cry sleep solution.

I've had it. For the last three months, I've been living off of about four, non-consecutive hours of sleep every day. My life consists of rocking and nursing Maddie to sleep for two hours each nap or night waking, just so she can sleep for 45 minutes. I'm beyond exhausted. My Fibromyalgia has flared up so much that I'm in constant pain, all day.. It doesn't matter if she's in bed with me, in her rock n play, or in her crib.. She will not sleep. I was able to handle one or two, maybe even three short night feedings, but now, we're waking up five, six, seven times a night, with a four in the morning, two hour play session in there as well. I absolutely will not do any form of crying it out at this point. Not only do I dislike the idea of it, but I'm fairly sure it will not work on Maddie. I'm confident that she would cry all night if I let her.. I'm not even going to try it. So, Danny picked up "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. I'm about halfway through the book, and so far, I'm feeling like we've tried almost everything she suggests short of making logs of her sleeping (although I'm not quite sure how that helps.. Maybe I haven't gotten that far into the book yet.. I'm not sure). But, we're going to try it. It may take months to see results, but I'd take months over potential years of night wakings. I just don't know how we got here. For three solid months, she slept from 8pm-8am.. Not a peep. Suddenly, out of the blue, she began waking more and more frequently, and then stopped sleeping through the night (for my non-mommy friends, this means one good, solid 5-6 hour stretch, which is the technical definition of sleeping through the night..), and now, she's just not sleeping much all together. I can't ignore my health anymore. I already suffer from a chronic sleep and pain disorder, and I've reached my limit. There has to be a way to change this. So, that is our plan.. Weeks and weeks worth of sleep logs, coupled with longer bedtime routines and shorter night feedings. I already don't sleep, so it can't get any worse, right? I'll try to update every week on our progress (or lack thereof).

No comments:

Post a Comment